Sunday 21 June 2015

New Hat :)

I'd been picturing this hat in my mind a lot over the last couple of weeks.. it's basically a top hat, but with a turned down brim that's longer at the back than the front, and with 3 pretty flowers sewn on.  

I felted it in merino.. which is softer than the fibres I usually use for hats, but have used fibre 4 layers and worked it HARD to get it nice and sturdy.


I sandwiched deep purple in between the layers of red and gold
Adding fibre to the 'flange' on top..
And pieces of thick red silk fabric like a hat band..
Blocked and drying..
I made a sheet of nuno felt with the thick red silk and same
fibres then stitched some simple flowers
Will post pics of it on a head soon. 

I'm not sure what to call this style of hat.. any suggestions?  I think I'm going to make one in blue and green next :)

4 comments:

Lyn and Annie said...

Stunning hat - love the different coloured brim with the pretty flowers.

Good luck with thinking of a name - the only one that springs to mind is TIPTOP HAT.

Terriea Kwong said...

Beautiful color and shape. The flowers are icing on the cake!

Heather Woollove said...

It looks like a stovepipe hat...still a fun name, I think!!
I love it!

FeltersJourney said...

Thank you ladies :) xxx