Monday 1 April 2013

Bright Spirals.. the mystery object

Isn't really all that exciting to be honest :)  It's a brooch!  After making the hat I had a small off-cut piece of the stripy brim left over.  It was too small to be used for anything much.. but too pretty to NOT use.  So I made a brooch..  

I cut 2 small holes in the felt to push the working parts of the brooch back through,
then stitched it in place
Seen from the right side - nice and neat.
I hate seeing the metal bar, doing it this way saves me having to sew a patch over the bar to hide it :)
Pinned in position
Stitched with teal silk thread
Pretty turquoise button from my stash
Finished off with glass seed beads.
I tipped some on and remembered how they were scattered, then stitched them on  as
closely as I could to how they fell when I scattered them
The finished back

I got thinking about all the times that I've had pretty scraps and just bunged them in my 'recycling bag'.. where they get lost from sight in amongst bigger bits, and forgotten for ages.  I really enjoyed making this simple little brooch, and would rather use the pretty scraps up right away.. so that's what I'm going to do from now on.  And I'm going to try to remember to take photos and post them as 'Small Things' :)

9 comments:

Ali said...

Great idea to use the pretty pieces as you go - and what a beautiful brooch - the shiny beads really add some sparkle!
Ali x

softearthart said...

Very nice indeed, cheers Marie

Kelly said...

Simple is sometimes so much better! Great idea on hiding the ugly parts of the pin!

FeltersJourney said...

Thanks ladies :)
xxx

Anonymous said...

Very nice :)
I went all geeky a while ago and 'categorised' all my scraps by size so I could use them for collages etc. I keep meaning to use some of the odd shapes from cutting out placemats for keyfobs :)

Terriea Kwong said...

Goes well with the hat and such a good idea to hide the pin metal. I never thought of. Will do it whenever I can win my felt brooch. I got so many scraps too. Bits to make little things like this is nice.

FeltersJourney said...

Funny you should say that Zed.. I did the same thing just after Christmas, sorted them into sizes.. thats what got me thinking about using tiny bits straight away :)

Thanks Terrie :)

xx

ThatFuzzyFeeling said...

I love those colour combinations - they work really well together! It's a great idea to use your scraps and leftover bits, and I rather like the idea of sorting them into sizes. Hmm, perhaps that's my Saturday sorted :)
Liz x

FeltersJourney said...

Thanks Liz :)
Happy sorting xx