Monday 18 March 2013

Bright Spirals details #1

The detail I wanted to look back at for the bags was pockets.. how I make integral pockets and adding simple decoration... 

I break off long thin pieces of top, or cut lengths of yarn
Rub a wet bar of soap on the resist to leave a soapy goo to hold the design in place
Draw the design
Cover design with layers of fibre that stick out about an inch past the size of the pocket resists.  I usually lay down 4 pocket layers.
Wet the fibre and position pocket resists
Continue laying out the rest of the bag and felting it.  I work it for a while after removing the main resist before I remove the pocket resists, to make sure the felt is good and strong on them (and they aren't going to felt shut as soon as they are removed - easily done if removed too early).

Felt is nice and solid, I've turned the bag inside out and worked the felt.
Now I can  see the resists all bunched up inside - its time to cut them out
I 'heal' the edges with wet soapy fingers and work the felt some more before actually taking the resist out


Next time: My button embellished bowler(ish) hat :)
xoxo

5 comments:

Jeany said...

Thank you again fir this great explanation, I'll try this some time ;))

crazydazy said...

I love these spirals, ali

Kelly said...

For some reason I am so afraid to try this. I think I may just have to play and not worry so much about the end result. Thanks for sharing how you keep the tops design in place with the soap. Genius!

Unknown said...

Czekam z niecierpliwością co tym razem wyczarujesz.

FeltersJourney said...

Thank you ladies :)

Kelly, you should definitely have a play.. theres nothing to be scared of. Give me a shout if you want to have a go and are worrying about it at all.

xoxo