Saturday 3 March 2012

HELP... Advice and suggestions needed please

My lion needs a mane!  And I can NOT figure out what to use!

Poor naked lion!
I had thought to use some naturally dyed BFL locks from last year... problem is I can only find one pack of them (think I might of overdyed the others) so I don't have enough.  I no longer have the right colour dye to do more.. the other wool locks that I have a just too WOOLY looking for a nice silky mane.. and silk would be too flyaway.  I had a piece of tibetan goat skin that I considered cutting up and sewing on.. but the fibre length is too long. 

Please someone HELP.. I have been racking my brains and trawling my usual supply shops for something suitable to no avail.  I wanted to try brown or golden bamboo fibre .. but the only seller I can find is out of stock :(  Whats a girl to do?  Suggestions would be very much appreciated..

I want to get him sorted asap as he is part of my March themed pair of doorstoppers..

10 comments:

krex said...

Your lion looks very sweet . I have waited two weeks for some bamboo and still it's still not here, very frustrating . I would recommend dying some tencel as it seems easier to get ahold of or perhaps soy fiber ? I think even alpaca is better then wool for long hair because wool just mats up to much . I have never tried to dye Tencel but perhaps someone else can help you with that .

Wishing you luck .

ThatFuzzyFeeling said...

Oh, how sweet! - I have thought long and hard but, like you, can't think what you could use for a mane. Lots of little felt 'dreadlocks' would perhaps be effective but SO time-consuming!! Maybe you should make a lioness instead :)
Liz x

FeltersJourney said...

Thank you both :)

Liz, I thought of having him as a lioness instead... but I've been picturing him as a lion for about 6 months.. I have to scratch that creative itch :) Like the idea of mini dreads.. x

Thanks Krex, it does seem that these firbes are as rare as hens teeth doesnt it?! lol x

Ruthie Redden said...

OOh I love your lion, he has such a sweet face. No suggestions for the mane, but I do hop eyou get a solution sorted out. I have thoroughly enjoyed looking back over posts & seeing the wonderful bags you have been inspired to make & the mad hat for your hubby, so cool! MR O is exactly the same with is hair too x

Betty said...

Hai,

My teacher needle felts Devon&Cornwall wool into her sheep-creatures..it looks really pretty en I think it could be used for Lions as well. Perhaps this info is of any use to you.
Love your blog!!

FeltersJourney said...

Thanks Ruthie & Betty, I think (HOPE) I have found a solution :) .. more soon xx

zed said...

I'd definitely say soybean top too, golden and silkier than silk
http://feltingandfiberstudio.com/other-fibers/plant-based-fibers/soy-top-2/

FeltersJourney said...

Thanks Zed :)

Tracy Markey said...

hey there, hope you have this sorted but if not, you could try adelaide walker as they have a good selection of different fibres? i got an email from wofw yesterday advertising bamboo fibres but they looked white?

or if all else fails, could you use knitting yarn if it was the right colour?

failing that, he could be a lion cub without mane?

good luck and look forward to seeing the end results :)x

FeltersJourney said...

Thanks for the suggestions Tracy, I think I have it sorted.. just need to get time to finish him now :) Will check out Adelaid Walker though.. dont think I have seen them before.
x